The Champs-Elysées candelabras were created in 1834 by the architect Jacques Ignace Hittorf, in charge of restructuring the Champs-Elysées gardens along with the Place de la Concorde. With the approval of the new prefect, the Count of Rambuteau, Hittorf erected the obelisk that had just arrived from Louxor, created English-style massifs, new plantations and installed the two fountains, the southern one for the seas and the northern one for the rivers. To allow us to enjoy these beauties in full light, he created the rostral columns and a cloud of street lamps. Every night, a thousand pearls light up Rivoli, la Concorde, Vendôme, the Petit and Grand Palais and, as the Revue de l’Art would say, give the finishing touch to the Champs-Elysées: “the most pleasant sight to be seen.”
GHM is one of the oldest French art foundry. It embodies the industrial and artistic heritage of our country since 1840. Street lamps, illuminating Paris, especially in the entrances of underground station Hector Guimard, without forgetting ( the dark green ornate drinking fountain) (Fontaine Wallace)
Photos 1 and 2 (detail), Charles Marville, c. 1868. Photo 3, Christophe Bouquet.